Ever since the introduction of the BMW i Remote app in 2013, BMW has offered its customers the option of effortless connectivity between their smartphone and vehicles. A new-generation app is now available to customers featuring a new-look design, intuitive and simplified user experience, and new features to support electromobility.
“With the new app generation, we are taking a further step in extending the digital customer experience around our vehicles and thus meeting the increased customer demand for digital services and functions,” said Peter Henrich, Senior Vice President BMW Group Connected Company Customer. “With the My BMW App and the MINI App, we seamlessly integrate our vehicles into the digital lifestyle of our customers. Both apps offer a host of features, both for the daily use of the vehicle and in the personal interaction with us as a brand, which we are continuously expanding”.
Stephan Durach, Senior Vice President BMW Group Connected Company Development, Technical Operations, adds: “My BMW and the MINI App set the standard for usability, safety and reliability. User feedback and information on the behaviour of users of the previous generation of the app were critical to the development process. The two apps include popular and frequently used functions, and the new platform allows us to continuously add new functionality, adapted to our customers’ needs.”
Summary of highlights
• The My BMW App is the new universal interface to the vehicle. It displays information on the status of the vehicle and, depending on the equipment, allows functions to be activated remotely (e.g. to locate the vehicle, lock and unlock the doors, or monitor the vehicle surroundings (Remote 3D View)).
• Destinations can be sent directly from the app to the vehicle’s navigation system, where maps shows the current traffic situation, filling stations and charging stations, as well as parking options.
• Customers are notified of available Remote Software Upgrades via the My BMW App and can easily download these upgrades at home, before transferring them to and installing them in the vehicle. With Remote Software Upgrades, the BMW Group offers customers with BMW Operating System 7 new and improved digital features on a regular basis and the ability to ensure that their vehicle software is always up to date.
• The BMW Digital Key, which turns an iPhone into a vehicle key, offers convenient set-up via the My BMW App in just a few steps. The BMW can then be used without a physical key, and this access can be shared with up to five other people. If preferred, you can restrict rights such as a reduced maximum speed or radio volume when sending a key – perfect for novice drivers.
• With My BMW, Amazon Alexa can be used* in vehicles with BMW Operating System 7 – offered on UK vehicles produced from November 2020. Once the customer has linked their Amazon account in the app, they can use the voice assistant by saying the activation word “Alexa” or at the touch of a button. Customers can use this voice control to play music, access news, control compatible smart home devices and access thousands of skills.
• The app offers additional features for electrified BMW vehicles, including an improved overview of the electric range, charging status and charging history. Customers can use the charge and climate timer to optimise the charging process by defining specific time slots for charging and set departure times. Preconditioning is also possible, allowing drivers to heat the vehicle in winter or cool it in summer for enhanced comfort.
• Once linked with a personal BMW ID*, individual preferences can be set in any current BMW vehicle quickly and automatically. Thanks to the My BMW App, logging in is now even easier – customers can simply scan a QR code to securely transfer their user settings between vehicles.
• The My BMW App can be used to contact BMW Retailers directly, allowing customers to keep an eye on their vehicle’s service requirements. Service appointments can be made directly from the app if needed and BMW Roadside Assistance can also be contacted in the event of problems. If consent is given, service personnel will see the location and status of the vehicle so that immediate over-the-air assistance can be provided. The app also offers easy access to the BMW ConnectedDrive Store and the BMW Online Shop.
The new-generation app can be downloaded free of charge from the Google Play Store and the Apple App Store.